WBC Mexican Legend
Champs Receive Special Recognition
By Michele Chong
Several pound-for-pound warriors received "WBC Mexican Legend" Awards of
Honor at Wednesday's Gennady Golovkin vs. Marco Antonio Rubio final
press conference before their fight (which took place this past Saturday
night in Carson, Calif.). Here's my special report and photos from the
Tying in with the "Mexican Style" theme for the Golovkin-Rubio main
event, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman presented WBC medals and plaques
to a group of prizefighters invited to attend this presser held at the
Marriott in Manhattan Beach.
"ALIEN VS. KRUSHER: HOPKINS VS. KOVALEV" PREDICTIONS
The Light Heavyweight Unification Bout Takes Place Saturday, Nov. 8 At
Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City Live On HBO World Championship Boxing®
One of the most anticipated fights of the year, the light heavyweight
unification bout between Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins and Sergey
"Krusher" Kovalev, has the boxing world split with the fight just
This will be one of the biggest obstacles of each man's career as they
look to unify titles and stake their claim as the best light heavyweight
in the world.
Take a look at how top media members see the Nov. 8 unification bout
(Answers compiled by Jack Obermayer for the official "Hopkins vs.
HOW THE NEXT SEVEN MONTHS WILL DEFINE AMIR KHAN'S CAREER
by Chris McKenna
The Bolton fighter takes on
Devon Alexander in his home away from home of Las Vegas in December.
It is a fight that could earn him the biggest payday of his career and
also the chance to topple the greatest boxers of this generation in Floyd
Welterweight Khan, 27, cannot just win against American Alexander - he has
to demolish the former world champion.
He has to send out a statement and make American TV company Showtime put
pressure on Mayweather to take a fight with the fast-handed Brit.
returns to San Francisco as OPP & MoBetta Entertainment Present “Back To
Business , War On The Wharf” Saturday November 2, 2014, at the
Longshoreman’s Hall. In the main event, hometown hero, Karim “Hard
Hitta” Mayfield (18-2-1, 11 KOs) and Michael Balasi (10-5, 7
KOs) of Honolulu, HI, will battle in an 8-round welterweight bout. The
fight will commence at a catch-weight of 145 lbs. Women’s heavyweights
Martha Salazar (12-4, 3 KOs) of San Francisco and Tanzee Daniel
(4-3-1, 1 KO) of New York will clash in the 10-round co-main event.
PEREZ TO DEFEND WBA TITLE OCT 24TH
Interim WBA Lightweight World Champion Darleys Perez (30-1, 19 KOs)
defends his title against fellow Colombian Jaider Parra (23-1-1, 12 KOs)
this Friday, Oct. 24, in the 12-round main event from the Coliseo
Universidad Del Norte in Barranquilla, Colombia.
Perez, who is currently the WBA No. 1 ranked challenger to current world
champion Richar Abril, understands the high importance attached to this
interim title defense.
“This is simply another step I need to take to fulfill my goal of becoming
an outright world champion,” said Perez, who captured the interim title
against the previously undefeated Argenis Lopez in June. “I’ve been
focused since day one of training camp and look forward to winning in
front of my hometown fans. I know Parra will come out swinging, but I
won’t let that affect my game plan.”
Perez is co-promoted by Gary Shaw Productions and Thompson Boxing
MURRAY ON CUSP OF TITLE SHOT
reckons he could be just one fight away from a third world title shot.
Murray faces Domenico
Spada on Saturday, October 25, and is ranked the number one challenger by
Murray hopes a convincing victory over the “rugged and awkward” Italian
will help him to secure a fight with hard-hitting WBC king Gennady
Golovkin early next year.
He previously drew with Felix Sturm in a world title bout in Germany and
suffered a points loss against Sergio Martinez in Argentina - despite
knocking his opponent down twice.
Murray said: “Training’s gone really well and I’m feeling focused and
ready. I’ve been over to Dublin for a bit of sparring and my preparations
have gone perfectly.
FIGHTER BANNED FOR LIFE
By Ognian Georgiev/Bulgaria
Croatian amateur fighter Vido Loncar, who knocked out the
referee after his bout against Lithuanian Algirdas Baniulis, was arrested.
The scandal took place following a 81 kg division match during the
European Youth Championships in Zagreb, Croatia. Loncar was dragged from
the ring by the officials and then was handed over to the police
authorities. Currently he is in jail.
8 hours after the brutal beating, the Croatian Boxing Federation has
banned the hooligan for life.
“This is the worst thing that could happen,” said the general secretary of
the Croatian Federation Marko Marovic, as quoted by HINA agency. “This is
a disgrace to Zagreb and Croatia. All our efforts that we put into
organizing the event were trashed. The boxing image of Croatia was
destroyed in seconds.”
Loncar’s coaches received temporary suspensions. Their fate will be
decided after a hearing.
The Polish referee, who was beaten with almost a dozen brutal shots, is in
the hospital with a concussion. He is in shock not only because of the
beating, but from alleged death threats from Loncar. The Croatian didn’t
agree with the stoppage of the fight and went berserk.
YAMANAKA RETAINS TITLE
WBC bantamweight champ, unbeaten southpaw Japanese
Shinsuke Yamanaka (22-0-2, 16 KOs), 118, successfully kept his belt as he
floored challenger Suriyan Sor Rungvisai (37-6-1, 16 KOs), 117.25, from
Thailand, three times to win a unanimous decision (114-110, 116-108,
115-109) over twelve hard-fought rounds. Yamanaka, making his seventh
defense, failed to extend his KO streak to six, but displayed his
superiority in exchanging hot rallies, dropping the game and gallant
Thailander in the seventh, eighth and ninth rounds.
KENTIKIAN TO DEFEND TITLE
Fireworks guaranteed! Two Female World Champions will
collide when WBA World Flyweight Champion Susi Kentikian squares
off with WBA World Super Flyweight Champion Naoko Fujioka on the
Sturm vs. Stieglitz undercard on November 8, 2014 at the Porsche-Arena in
“This will be one heck of a fight. She’s one of the world’s finest
fighters”, Kentikian (27), who is currently preparing with her coach
Magomed Schaburow in Cologne, Germany, said. “It’ll be a great challenge
but those are the fights I want. I want to give the fans a great show and
dominate a strong opponent. I can’t wait for fight night!”
The unbeaten Fujioka (39), from Japan, is regarded as one of the best
female boxers. She currently holds the WBA World Super Flyweight title and
is a former WBC World Minimumweight champion. She is looking to win her
third championship when she moves down in weight to challenge Kentikian in
Kentikian, of course, wants to erase the zero from Fujioka’s professional
record. In her last fight, the “Killer Queen” defended her crown via a
spectacular ninth round technical knockout on May 31 against Dan-Bi Kim,
also from Japan. “I’ll be even better this time around”, Kentikian
promised. “I’m in tremendous shape and I promise that Fujioka won’t stand
a chance on November 8.”
Tickets for the huge Sturm vs. Stieglitz bill at the Porsche-Arena in
Stuttgart, Germany, can
be bought by calling +49-711-2 555 555 or online at
GGG SCORES BIG IN RATINGS
In addition to breaking all attendance records this
Saturday night at the StubHub Center in Carson, the acclaimed outdoor
Southern California boxing venue, middleweight champion Gennady “GGG”
Golovkin also scored big in the TV ratings. Even with the highest rated
college football game of the year airing at the same time on ABC, Golovkin
delivered excellent audience viewership numbers on HBO per Nielsen Media
Research. The Golovkin vs. Marco Antonio Rubio fight attracted 1,304,000
viewers to the live, first-time airing on HBO. That makes it the second
best performing fight on cable television in 2014. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
vs. Bryan Vera II delivered 1,390,000 viewers in March on HBO.
So far, 13 of the top 15 fights on cable television this year have aired
on HBO, including all of the top ten. Golovkin’s television performance
vs. Rubio is a 33 percent increase over the audience that tuned in last
July for Golovkin vs. Daniel Geale on HBO. That fight delivered 984,000
viewers. The Golovkin vs. Rubio fight peaked at 1,323,000 viewers.
1.1 million viewers tuned in this past Saturday for the electric opening
fight between Nicholas Walters and Nonito Donaire. The fight peaked at
1,166,000 viewers on HBO.
DE LA HOYA KEEPS WORD
Golden Boy President and Boxing Hall of Famer Oscar de la
Hoya promised to end the boxing cold war and now he is making good on that
promise, working with Top Rank as well as with both HBO and Showtime.
On December 6, Golden Boy is planning an HBO-televised card featuring
middleweight David Lemieux against Gabriel Rosado at Barclays Center in
Brooklyn, New York. Also scheduled is a jr middleweight clash between
James De la Rosa and Hugo Centeno.
On December 13, Golden Boy has a SHOWTIME-televised card in the works at
Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas with ex-world champions Amir Khan against Devon
Alexander colliding in a welterweight battle, plus WBO jr middleweight
king Demetrius Andrade defends against Jermell Charlo and WBA interim
welterweight titleholder Keith Thurman will see action vs. Leonard Bundu.
Also on December 13, Golden Boy fighter Mauricio Herrera defends his WBA
interim super lightweight belt against Jose Benavidez on Top Rank’s
competing HBO-televised show down the street at the Cosmopolitan of Las
October 21, 2014
BRADLEY RETURNS DEC. 13TH IN VEGAS
Photo Chris Farina/Top Rank
Surrounded by the Top Rank Knockouts, former two-division champion Timothy
"Desert Storm" Bradley (ctr) poses with undefeated contender Jose
Benavidez Jr. (L) and WBA Interim Super Lightweight world champion
Mauricio Herrera (R) during a press conference to announce his upcoming
return to the ring to battle Diego Chaves in a 12-round Welterweight
rumble, Saturday, Dec. 13, inside the Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan in Las
Vegas. Benavidez will take on Herrera for his WBA Super Lightweight belt.
Promoted by Top Rank in association with Golden Boy Promotions and Tecate,
Bradley vs Chaves will be televised live on HBO World Championship Boxing.
Bradley, who will be making his ring comeback against one-time interim
world champion Diego “La Joya” Chaves (23-2, 19 KOs), stated “I’m very
happy to be back. I’m very happy to be fighting against another tough guy.
Bring him on man…I’m very highly motivated!” Chaves, from Argentina,
Herrera and Benavidez collide in the co-feature.
Herrera said, “I’m going to show everybody what the true Maestro does. I
figure you out an I get my way…he has a great style, but I give problems
to all the conventional boxers and he’s going to figure it out that day.
It’s gonna be a great fight.”
Benavides commented, “Mauricio is a tough guy, he’s been fighting tough
opponents, but I think I’m ready for this….I’ve been watching a lot of
YouTube, a lot of blogs saying Mauricio's gonna take me to school…we’ll
see who’s gonna take who to school that night.”
Promoted by Top Rank®,
in association with
Golden Boy Promotions and Tecate, tickets
to the Bradley-Chaves/Herrera-Benavidez world championship event go on
sale Friday, October 24 at
10:00 a.m. PDT. Priced at $40, $60, $100, $125 and $150, tickets
will be available for purchase at
www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/ or through
Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000 and
packages will also be available.
GREAT SHOWS THE SAME NIGHT
BOTH IN LAS VEGAS
On Saturday, December 13th, two cable giants will stage fight cards on
the same evening and in the same city, but at different locations and on
different time slots.
Showtime Sports and Golden Boy Promotions is planning to announce a big
tripleheader featuring Welterweights Amir Khan vs. Devon
Alexander in the main event of the evening. The scheduled twelve round
headliner will take place at the Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino in Las
Vegas, Nevada, with a brilliant Junior Middleweight Championship fight
between WBO title holder Demetrius Andrade and undefeated prospect
Jermell Charlo in the co-main event.
Undefeated and very avoided Welterweight Keith Thurman will
kick-off the three fight telecast against an opponent that has yet to be
determined in a scheduled twelve round defense of his WBA interim 147
On the same evening, HBO will feature an entertaining triple header of
their own at the Cosmopolitan Hotel and Casino, also in Las Vegas, Nevada,
headlined by former two division world champion Timothy Bradley and former
WBA interim Welterweight title holder Diego Chaves. (See article above)
Middleweight contenders, Matt Korobov and Andy Lee, will compete for the
vacant WBO title in the co-main event of the evening, and the HBO
broadcast will open up with a Junior Welterweight title fight between
Golden Boy's WBA interim champ Mauricio Herrera and Top Rank's unbeaten
prospect Jose Benevidez.
Eric Gomez of Golden Boy Promotions is excited to be working with both
GOOSSEN PROMOTIONS CARRIES ON
by Dan Rafael
After promoter Dan Goossen died at age 64 on Sept. 29, just a few weeks
after being diagnosed with liver cancer, there were many questions about
what would happen to his company, Goossen Promotions.
Tom Brown, Goossen’s brother-in-law, close friend and the company
matchmaker, said after Dan’s death that the family business would carry on
even though it would be impossible to replace their beloved leader.
The first efforts of Goossen Promotions carrying on were unveiled Monday
with the announcement of a card -- in Goossen’s honor -- Nov. 20 at the
Sportsmen's Lodge in Studio City, California.
Undefeated world champion super-middleweight
Andre Ward won't have to arbitrate his fight over money with his late
promoter Dan Goossen, a federal judge ruled.
Ward, 30, claimed Goossen and Goossen Tutor Promotions violated the
Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act by failing to disclose required financial
information for several of Ward's fights over the past 10 years. Ward sued
Goossen in August, seeking an accounting and damages.
Goossen in September demanded arbitration. On Oct. 15, U.S. District Judge
Thelton E. Henderson denied the arbitration motion.
(Goossen died on Sept. 29, and Ward notified the court he will amend his
complaint to name Goossen's estate as defendant along with Goossen Tutor
When the Champ smiles, you can still see where the quarter-inch metal
screws were drilled into his forehead.
Vinny Paz was a two-time world boxing champion when he broke his neck in a
car crash in 1991. Doctors told him that he would never fight again and
that he was fortunate he wasn’t a paraplegic. They drilled four holes into
his skull and fitted him with a halo, a metal-rod brace to immobilize his
But the Pazmanian Devil had other ideas. He secretly lifted weights and
worked out, despite the searing pain. Within a year, he returned to the
ring and went on to win three more titles.
Paz’s story will be turned into a movie, “Bleed for This,” which is
scheduled to begin shooting next month in Rhode Island. He is thrilled.
“I’m going to be the main inspiration in the world for people, and how
cool is that?” he says.